Monday, January 9

Movie Reviews: Casanova & Memoirs of a Geisha

I found myself sitting in a movie theater twice this weekend. Although I do like to think that I'm a big supporter of the the theatre movie arts, the sad fact is that I really only go to the movies like twice in three months. Lately there hasn't been anything released that has really grabbed my attention.

On Friday I saw Casanova with J. Clark. Seeing this movie was a complete accident. J. Clark is not the type of guy I usually would imagine to accompany me to see a romance like Casanova, but it was better than him dragging me kicking and screaming to see his choice of Hostel.

Casanova was one of those feel-good movies. Everyone ends up with someone to love at the end. Now even though I like to think life ends up that way, it rarely does.

Thus, I didn't end up thinking too highly of the movie except of the fact that the evil bad guy villian from Die Hard With a Vengence was in this movie. Holy crap, why exactly is Jeremy Irons in this movie?




Then last night I hung out with Krista and again I accidentally ended up at a movie. After trying to eat some crazy brownie thing at a local restaurant we decided to catch Memoirs of a Geisha.

I've been really excited for this movie to be released and I'm surprised it took me so long to finally hit up the theater to see it. I bought the book a few years ago while thrifting and it's been a favorite of mine to pick up and read when I come back to visit my parents house.

Now I'm not a huge fan of books being turned into movies, but I must say Memoirs of a Geisha didn't turn out so bad.



A few key things I think they should have kept the same in the book as in the movie:
- Nobu needs to only have one arm. (he wasn't repulsive enough in the movie.)
- I think Sayuri needed to keep the Cheif's handkercheif the entire time and NOT throw it off a side of a cliff.
- It needs to be better explained that Sayuri's sister was turned into a prostitute.
- Dr. Crab needs to be portrayed as the sicko that collects the blood of virgin's and not just some random old semi-dirty dude. In the book, he was creepy....like creepier than the construction worker that tries to talk to me everyday.

No comments: