Sunday, September 11

I bet you don't know how to sell conviction

Idlewild at the TLA on Friday night was not really as big of a letdown as I made it out to be. I believe I was only disappointed as I was walking back to the car only because the show had ended. Roddy made me extremely happy. At most points you could find me standing with my hands on my cheeks wondering how one band that couldn't even sell-out the TLA had made me so happy for so long.

WRFT Matt and I drove to the show and got there early just to make sure the guest list was all in working order. We were on the list for the opener, Inara George, so we had to get there in order to see her and crew. Midway through the opener, Amanda and WLVR Mike showed up.

I'm glad that Mike came to the show since he is the reason I was introduced to Idlewild a few years ago. And like the kind gentleman he is, he picked up my ex-roomie to bring her along since he had an extra spot on the list he needed filled.

Last night was the Noisettes at the Electric Factory. WRFT Matt, Amanda and Laura and I showed up mad early to do what I thought was going to be an interview. Unfortunately the Noisettes got there a little late, so we met up with them and got some station ID's for our troubles of jetting down to the city so fucking early.

I was extremely impressed with the Noisettes set. They have this live energy that is unreal. The singer had kicked off her purple thigh highs and was jumping around the stage barefoot kicking her legs up in the air while she aggresively strummed her guitar and sang in a voice that reminded me of a modern day Billie Holiday mixed with YYY's Karen O.

After their set was the Kills which was filled with such sensuality I thought I was going to break down and have to make out with the stranger standing next to me. If a band was sex, then it would be the Kills. Seriously.

Finally was Bloc Party which, by the sound of the 17-year-olds when they came on stage, was the obvious reason why mostly everyone was there. By this point, Matt, Amanda and Laura and I were standing near the back because I couldn't take being jam-packed in like tuna for effin' Bloc Party.

They did put on an okay show. They were trying for a light show that screamed Secret Machines, but it ended up just blinding me instead of the 'ooohs and ahhhs' I think it was trying to achieve. So I ended up eyeing the man standing behind me because I thought it was my riend Bryan who lives so far away in Wisconsin. He was wearing an Athlete shirt, and I was going to go start a conversation about the latest Athlete album but I didn't. I did however call Bryan after the show to let him know he has a twin walking around Philadelphia that goes to shows and stands around trying to be uber-pretentious.

Today will prove to be a busy day: radio show, radio meeting. In between that, I need to do laundry so I have something to wear for CMJ and finally piece together my schedule so I'll know what parties/ showcases I'll be able to attend.

If you are coming to CMJ and want to see me, please drop me a line before I leave so we can arrange to meet-up accordingly.

No comments: